~oOo~

2013-05-19

from the neighborhood: arnold arboretum

Me on a knit-bombed bench, Arnold Arboretum (photo by Joseph)
This weekend, my friend Joseph is in town from Michigan, where he works at Arrowhead Alpines and recently published a book on plant breeding at home (aka plantsex!). Obviously, we spent at least some of the weekend exploring plant-y things in the Boston area, including a glorious visit to Arnold Arboretum.


I hadn't been to the Arb since maybe 2008? I'm absolutely not going to leave it so long before I go back.


It was a perfect half-cloudy day to wander around experimenting with nature photography.


Next time, though, I'm gonna bring a book and a thermos of tea and settle in for a long afternoon of reading out-doors. Maybe in this tree ...


Joseph was super-excited to see this dove tree, planted in 1904; he says it's the oldest dove tree in the United States (the earliest tree we saw was a bonsai started in the late 1700s!)


The azaleas were blooming everywhere in all shades from white to deep fuschia. These were a salmon red, though the camera made them come out pink.




As were the lilacs...




I'm looking forward to chilling by this lake sometime soon with my wife and a picnic from the Harvest Co-op.

1 comment:

  1. If we ever manage to visit Boston/you, let's go there! I really, really love botanical gardens and arboreta (that would be the plural? yes? the text box here doesn't like it one bit). They feel like peace and expansiveness to me.

    ReplyDelete